Friday, January 20, 2012

White Lies and Alibis

I don't know if you realize this but I loved that workshop! We had to write two pieces. The first was that "interview poem". Mine was about Ben. You've met him. The second was called the "beneath the surface poem" in which we were supposed to talked about something we didn't want anyone to know. My problem was that I'm pretty much an open book. No shiz right? I'm mean I blog about my most embarrassing dating fails OF COURSE I'm an open book! However, there's always more to the story. I wonder if anyone can catch it? And then I wonder if anyone saw it before reading this. Also, I wonder if it'll shatter the facade? DOUBTFUL!

White Lies and Alibis

Ask me anything, I'll tell you
Tell you elusive
Shadowed details
Speech specific you think me open
open armed
open heart
open book
Open to the public

Ask me anything, I'll tell you
What you want to hear
What you need to hear
To see me
see me Martyr
Saintly
Phoenix rising from the ashes

Ignore the ashes
Soot stained roots
Ignore the roots

Ask me anything, I'll tell you
With smiles for miles and miles
Anything to keep up the distraction from the main attraction

Woman collapsed
Broken on the floor
Problems heaved under the carpet

Just ignore the lump
What a pretty rug!

LOOK!

I hope you didn't see her stumble
Frantically diving
Shying off to the side
All insecurities must hide!
Don't worry it was just a stumble
A flesh wound
I'll call the cleaning crew

Ignore her weak
Ignore her screaming behind the walls she's built
Forgetting her need for air
for comfort
for love
Forgetting her needs

Seriously, ask me anything,
Let me steer you a bit askew
So you won't see the difference in hue
It's the same picture
Same amount of words
Just slightly different words

Tragic sounds better as triumphant
Victim is survivor
Pain and loss are obstacles
You know the drill

But ignore the double speak
That's not what you came to see
You came to see me
Happy.
Content.
Satisfied with the path my life has taken.

So take it in,
I'll tell you anything.
To see you
see you proud
See you satisfied that the torch can be passed along
So you won't have to stand so strong

I'd love to see you rested.
see you comforted
With that sigh of relief
Finally, you're not alone
The burden can be passed to her.
The machine I built to take on the task immense
With heart of steel; resolve of stone.

A meticulously constructed puppet
With a saccharine smile that beguiles
Uploaded stories with just enough variance as to not sound practiced
The show is well rehearsed
Proper distractions have been set in place
Rest assured that everyone has been duped

The puppet stands at the entrance
They stand distracted
She tells them anything

Tells them stories
Has them eating out of the palm of her hand, enthralled
So captured they don’t even realize the thinly veiled disguise
She stands there singing till the truth is marginally less than slightly off tune
The melody is gripping
The harmony riveting

They are sold

I am resting, or hiding
Between the lines

But I am made up
With smoke and mirrors
Pretty words
Expensive frames
Lullabies
And lots of white lies and alibies

No comments:

Post a Comment